Monday, December 8, 2008

Podcasts

Oh my goodness...I can't believe this is 23! I have really enjoyed doing these, even if sometimes it has felt like work! I just think it is funny that I have done more of the things towards the end of the 23 things then I had at the beginning. I don't think they went in order of difficulty, but if so, then i am doing most of the harder things on a regular basis in my daily life.

Podcasting is great! I love it! I was doing it before the 23 Things and will continue to do it afterwards. But, I will say that I didn't realize that really any audio or video coming from the web is considered podcasting. I thought, like I guess many people do gathering from the definition on the site Katherine suggested, that it wasn't really a podcast unless you took it off the internet and put in onto a device.

We just got a iPod for our wedding in September and I haven't really played around with it a whole lot. I have never downloaded a podcast to it but I have played around in iTunes a little bit while dealing with it. I wanted to listen to a podcast (for free) to complete this task so I downloaded iTunes onto my work computer (sorry, Sam) and typed in free. There aren't too many free things on iTunes! Which is smart for Apple, but I really wanted to listen to something free.

I ended up finding the first chapter of Shadowmagic by John Lenahan.

Here is the description: “Hi, my name is Conor. Other than my father being a bit of an eccentric lunatic, my life was pretty normal until I got attacked in my living room and whisked away to Tir na Nog, the mystical land of the ancient Celts, where it turns out Dad is the usurped heir to the throne and everybody wants me dead because of some prophecy. Don’t you just hate when that happens?”

Shadowmagic is a rip roaring fun fantasy adventure novel by John Lenahan very loosely based on Irish mythology where every chapter ends on the edge of a cliff (or at least a high curb.) Join Conor as he grapples with typical teenage problems like, how to deal with a father’s high expectations, how to survive in the world on your own and how to woo a beautiful girl - that wants you dead. Shadowmagic a podcast novel for young adults from 12 to 112.

I really liked the fact that I could hear the novel read by the author. I love hearing how the author wanted me to hear the words he wrote. And, the first chapter was actually pretty interesting. I don't know that I will ever pay to hear the rest of the book, but it did tweak my interest.

I do hope that the VHS can get into podcasting more. I think the online lectures are a great start, but we should also do video tours of the exhibits and have gallery walks with the curator with each new exhibit. Now that so many people have completed the 23 Things, we should have a whole group of knowledgeable tech-savvy staff who are willing to help!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi
You don't have to pay a fee to listen to the rest of shadowmagic. You can download it free from the podcast directory on itunes or from www.podiobooks.com

Thanks for the plug and I hope you emjoy the rest of Shadomagic.

John Lenahan