Monday, November 24, 2008

Week 4 - For Fun

I looked over Letter James, FD's Flickr Toys, LibraryThing, Rollyo.com, Jott.com, rememberthemilk.com, and livemocha.com.

Letter James was taking way too long to download and everything was in English money, so I didn't stay long on the site. But, creating a personalized calendar seemed pretty cool. But, with so many places that are doing that now, I don't see why I would need to go online to do it (unless the site had more options that I just didn't get a chance to see).

Flickr Toys was pretty cool also. I created a puzzle with a picture of Shane and me. I looked pretty good, but I never would actually buy it. It was $40. Maybe for someone who likes puzzles more than us it would be a cool gift. But, again, so many local places can do stuff like this now, why would you do it through an online site where you couldn't see the final product before you paid for it?

LibraryThing was interesting. I don't think I will ever use it because I don't read enough to make it something I would need, but I do see how it can help the VHS. I hope that younger researchers will see that we have books in our library and want to come to visit because of what they saw on LibraryThing. I'm sure it will take forever to get all our books on the site. Keep up the good work library staff!!

Rollyo.com was ok. I don't think I will ever use a program like that.

Jott.com and rememberthemilk.com were pretty cool. I do have a hard time remembering things but I don't think I am "hooked up" enough to have reminders sent to my phone, computer, put on my calendar, sent by IM, etc. But, for people who are, this seems like a great idea. I do often think of things while I am in the car and can't write them down...

And, lastly, livemocha.com. I really liked this site. I think this site shows what social networking should be all about. People helping other people to accomplish something beneficial for everyone. Maybe if I would have known about that site before the honeymoon to Mexico, I would have picked up a few more words to use while I was there.

No comments: